Monday, March 28, 2011

My trip to France and a plan (part 2)

All the talk about organics in my previous post lead me to my main point.  WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms) is a program that accepts volunteers in many different places in the world.  The hosts provide food and accommodations, sometimes these are free, sometimes they're not but it's never terribly pricey.  You join WWOOF and you get a list of families that are accepting volunteers in whichever country you choose.  You commit anywhere from a week (or less) to however long you want, sometimes years (watch those visa limits!).  You work on the farm, learn about organic farming, sometimes about animals if they keep them in the farm and meet other WWOOFers.

Some families allow you to bring children, which would be a bonus to me.  My hurdles currently are; getting to France, convincing the rest of the family, figuring out how long I want to do this and what my mom will want to do seeing as she's moving out here in a couple months.  She's never been to Europe and I don't necessarily want to make her work on a farm.

Aside from that, I'm not sure how else I would go about getting a work visa for Europe, but eventually I will.  I want to live on the other side of the pond, it's been a long time dream  and I'm still exploring my options to make this happen.

Do any of you have experience with volunteering overseas or working on a farm?

No comments:

Post a Comment